Online Community & Travel Guide
Serving Playa del Carmen & Riviera Maya
In The Roo on Facebook In The Roo on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tenencia

Default Tenencia

We were told today at the Hacienda that only the Mexicans do not have to pay the tenencia for vehicle registration. Neighbors who are not Mexicans were there at the same time and did not have to pay the tenencia. It was questioned at the time, but the clerk couldn't do anything different since the computer told her the amount to be paid. If any of you have had the same problem, were you able to find a way to fix it? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This has proven a little complicated, it seems. As it was related to me, cars registered in Mexico for the year 2011 got the exemption, and continues to get the exemption. Cars registered for the first time in 2012 or later have to pay, unless they are owned by a Mexican.

My car was registered for the first time in 2012: I had to pay then, and in 2013. I expect to have to pay this year, too.

This link may allow you to see the amount of taxes due on your vehicle (the web portal wasn't functioning just now when I opened the page, so I wasn't able to look myself at mine: I'll try again, later).

Tenencias y Control Vehicular

Thanks! That kind of makes sense. I'd been to the site and saw the large amount. I just hoped they would not charge that when we got there. Ha!

That kind of makes sense.
    You're being generous! It seems arbitrary to me but it being their country they will dance to their own drum.

I was just able to access the website.

It doesn't fit the pattern I was told regarding the previous two years, so they may have made some adjustments to the regime, but this year I was given the discount and will owe just 769 pesos, whereas I was charged just over 4,000 pesos in the two previous years.

Someone in charge at the tax office might be able and take the time to explain the current policy, as they did for me the two previous years. Paying the larger amount might seem less painful if you at least knew how the question was decided.

I'll probably pay in person so I may get a chance to find out what they're doing about this, this year.

Lucky! So much for "making sense". ;-) Let us know if you find out anything. Thanks!

It seems arbitrary to me but it being their country they will dance to their own drum.
    Perhaps it was, "Dance to their own tune," and, "March to their own drum."???
    Libby likes this.

Wonderful, detailed explanation of the "tenencia" and how it will be applied in Quintana Roo, for those who can follow Spanish or find a friend to help them.

From the newspaper "Por Esto"

Por Esto! | Yucat?n
    Libby likes this.

Los pagos por cambio de placas, tarjeta de circulación y calcomanía 2014 tendrán un precio único de 769 pesos hasta el 31 de marzo de 2014, tanto en unidades recientes como en modelos antiguos, para los propietarios de automóviles que estén al corriente en sus adeudos, pago que podrá realizar en las instituciones bancarias previa consulta a la página de Internet tenencias.gob.mx; la entrega de los documentos será en las Recaudadoras de Tenencias y Control Vehicular ubicadas en los municipios del Estado.
    The article is long so, to help get to the gist of it I'll give a summary of part of it.

The total charges, for both "recent and old" models will be the same, 769 pesos. You have until the end of March to pay. Payments are made at banks. You can print your bill off the internet site mentioned earlier in this thread, then take it to the bank to pay. New plates will be available by the end of March. They speak of the "documents" being available at the Recaudadoras de Tenencias y Control Vehicular del estado.

Based on the information published, this looks to my like a big change from last year. My plan is to pay at a bank, wait until I have reason to believe everything will be ready for me- tarjeta de circulacion and plates- then go pick them up, presenting my paid receipt.

psinpcd, I don't know what to make of this in relation to your case.... Can you make sense of it?
    Libby likes this.

Default Home Delivery?

When I was standing in line at the bank to pay I read, for the first time, the message that appeared on the invoice I printed off the website. The message spoke of electing to have new plates (apparently Q.R residents are changing plates, this year) to your home. This made me recall that I'd seen an option of electing home delivery on the website I mentioned earlier. Normally, I wouldn't want to risk such a thing but on an impulse I went back into the website and checked home delivery, just to see how this might work. (I supposed if I wasn't home, they'd leave a message, which would give me proof the new plates were ready to be picked up.) If you don't choose home delivery you're back to going to their offices to pick up the plates, something I mentioned earlier that I'd been expecting to have to do.

There was another quirk that appeared in the system when I went back into it this AM: it is that there are two different forms to choose from when you try to print your invoice. The first is for payment by electronic means, using an interbank transfer, the second for use when paying in cash at the bank. So, I guess to do this right you have to decide which method you will use and print the appropriate invoice. It also says you should print two copies of the invoice, one to give the bank, the other to keep yourself.

It always pays to read the fine print first: for some reason I was very casual about this whole thing, printed the wrong invoice, and used the invoice for bank transfers to pay at the bank. Perhaps others will learn from my mistake....

Good Morning Vlad,

Thank you for all the good information you share on many different subjects! We are only in Playa for eleven days and will pay our Tenencial at a bank today. Am I correct in hearing that the plates are not available to go pick up? If this is the case, we will deal with the picking up the plates in May. Also, do you happen to know if we need to bring the old plates in when we pick up our new plates!

Thank you for your most valuable information sharing!
    Maureen

Good morning Maureen,

Yes, you return the old plates when the new ones are available at the end of March, maybe. Surprise, this year they require a printout of a factura from Secretaria de Finanzas y Planeacion . You enter the referencia number from the form for your payment and your RFC, taxpayer ID number. No, I don't have an RFC. There is a website to receive a RFC from your CURP number, https://siat.sat.gob.mx/PTSC/inscurp/#final , where it pulled up my info; but, would not allow me to enter my immigration document number. The factura site would not work with Mado's RFC either. It showed that the referencia number was incorrect. Maybe it will show up in the next month?

Sadly, Polly succumbed to heart disease a couple of weeks ago. In her misspent youth on the streets of Playa she had contracted heart worms and though treated, the damage was done.

Steve
    Last edited by StevedeSD; 02-14-2014 at 07:22 AM.
    Steve & Mado'
    Polly & Lola too

"You are unique! Just like everybody else."
    Kurt Vonnegut

Bien Amado said, "Such is life in the tropics."

That was brillant, StevedeSD. I love it when this government online stuff works.

Using the first link you mentioned I was able to print my comprobante (proof) of payment. Apparently the system forgave me for using the wrong form, and wrong reference number to pay at the bank: it showed I'd paid the correct amount, at the bank, just as I'd done.

Now I'm in business!

Hi Steve & Mado,

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Polly! She was so lucky to have you two. You gave her a great gift of your love!

Thank you for the excellent Tenencia information!! We do not have an RFC or a curp as we no longer live here long term (unfortuanately!). I'm going togo to the bank & get the process started and will report how it goes for us.

Maureen & Joe

I'm planning to check this week to see if the new plates are ready to pick up. I'll let you know. I've not yet heard anything by mail, and it's getting near the end of the month.

For those who've already paid I suppose it would be a good idea at this point to put a copy of the paid receipts and the tax form in your glove box.

They had the new plates for cars last Friday at the office on 1 sur.
    Steve & Mado'
    Polly & Lola too

"You are unique! Just like everybody else."
    Kurt Vonnegut

Bien Amado said, "Such is life in the tropics."

Fabulous. Does anyone know their opening hours? I'll go today if I can.

Those who may have waited to secure their documentation may be disappointed to discover the Servicio de Administración Tributaria website is down, "under reconstruction," at least until after the 31st, if we can believe when they said they will have their act together. What a time to choose to do modifications, just when the tax season is its heaviest.

I got my documentation when the website was still functioning and hope to get my new plates tomorrow.

A friend of mine, who's discovered that in addition to other problems he may have an invalid RFC is not quite so well off at the moment: he won't be able to test his RFC until next month, after current registrations have expired.

Somehow I expect with all the changes that there will be just a little flexibility shown by the police regarding current registrations- at least until these problems are solved.

Lines are long for those who did not request home delivery.

Has anybody who requested "home delivery" had a visit from someone distributing the plates, yet?

I asked for home delivery but I haven't heard a word!

I saw an article two days ago that said the deadline had been extended to April 30. My neighbor told me she had seen the same thing.

We bought our car new in 2012....we've paid the tenencia twice until this year....only had to pay the 760some pesos.....the tenencia charge was on the receipt then it was deducted....saved 3,500 pesos. We asked no questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast