Online Community & Travel Guide
Serving Playa del Carmen & Riviera Maya
In The Roo on Facebook In The Roo on Twitter

Thread: Moving To Playa Del Carmen

Default Moving To Playa Del Carmen

Hello, I am married to a mexican girl from Guadalajara, we currently live in Canada. I am in the process of selling my company and we are moving to the Cancun area. My wife wants to go to Playa Del Carmen, but I am undecided. Any info on the right areas to buy in would be appreciated. It does not have to be in Playa Del Carmen, just in the area. Thanks alot. I don't want to spend more then 200,000.00 US, and I don't want a condo. We have 4 large dogs. I know this is vague and is better question for a real estate agent, but I trust the people more. lol Thanks.
    Last edited by Tooly236; 01-02-2009 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooly236 View Post
    Hello, I am married to a mexican girl from Guadalajara, we currently live in Canada. I am in the process of selling my company and we are moving to the Cancun area. My wife wants to go to Playa Del Carmen, but I am undecided. Any info on the right areas to buy in would be appreciated. It does not have to be in Playa Del Carmen, just in the area. Thanks alot. I don't want to spend more then 200,000.00 US, and I don't want a condo. We have 4 large dogs. I know this is vague and is better question for a real estate agent, but I trust the people more. lol Thanks.
    A lot of options Amigo...200K may not get you the beach but you should be able to get some decent location (Play and/or Cancun). The best thing to do is to come down, explore and see for yourself. Michele from buyplaya dot com offers real estate services in QR.

Buean Suerte...

I agree with your decision not to buy a condo or a timeshare masquerading as a condo. Even with Playa's inflated real estate prices, I would think you could get a pretty nice house for 200K. I would spend a few weeks in the area, maybe based in Playa, and make some exploratory trips around and view some properties. Maybe get Michele's company to show you some. That'll give you a much better idea of the housing market. Being married to a Mexican citizen should make the buying process much easier. Have you looked at Puerto Morelos? I'm not sure about real estate prices there, but, that area would be a nice choice, IMHO, halfway between Playa and Cancun. Good luck!

Hola! Welcome to the forum. You will find almost anything you need to know about Playa del Carmen and living in this area here. There are a number of members who actually live and work here who will be able to offer a wealth of information. We would be happy to help you find a place to live. I would respectfully suggest that if you are moving to this area, you come and spend some time renting and checking out the various neighborhoods to find the one that is right for you, your wife and the beasts. $200K limits you geographically but depending on your needs you can find a house for that $$$. If you don't need to be in an in town location, you could buy a lot in the jungle and build. Building costs are very reasonable here. It all depends on what you are looking for and you expected standard of living.

If you want to be out of the city and the traffic, I would look at Akumal, or the Soloman Bay area.
    I'll take 2, please. Please bring them to me over here.

Quote Originally Posted by SUNBABY View Post
    If you want to be out of the city and the traffic, I would look at Akumal, or the Soloman Bay area.
    Wrong price point unfortunately.

As others have said, I'd recommend that you come down here and look around with a realtor. You'll want to select one real estate agent for the Cancun area and a different one for the Playa del Carmen and Riviera Maya area. I don't know much about Cancun agents, but here is a list of great Playa del Carmen real estate agents.

For $200,000, you should be able to get a nice house on the west side of the highway in Playa or a little bit of a fixer-upper in town. My friend Sherry, of One Stop, just showed us a house in a great neighborhood in Playa for just $160,000. The seller is very motivated. The house is small and outdated, but it's livable and you can build up for more space. We would have gone for it, if all our money wasn't tied up in U.S. real estate. Ugh!
    Now you can book your vacation rental with In The Roo!
    http://intheroo.com/rentals

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Wrong price point unfortunately.
    yeah, I thought about that after I posted....dang, property is expensive in Mexico.....location, location, location!!!

Just curious...has property sales slowed down at all down there?

Quote Originally Posted by SUNBABY View Post
    yeah, I thought about that after I posted....dang, property is expensive in Mexico.....location, location, location!!!

Just curious...has property sales slowed down at all down there?
    Yes, but just over the past month or so. The rest of the year was booming. A few people have made some price reductions but not many.

I agree that you really need to visit to see where you might want to live. We didn't want a condo either and found a house, but it has a very small backyard and I know you said you have 4 dogs. We wanted on the beach side of the highway. From our experience, there weren't really that many options. We found a place in April and closed at the end of July. The seller lived in Spain and it was a long process that almost fell through at the last minute. We boarded our plane not knowing if we were closing. We decided it would be a vacation if we didn't close. The seller didn't list the correct sales price on the deed either so we'll have to pay taxes on his profits if we sell (that is why it almost fell through - we conceded). We were still happy we did it and don't really plan to sell. We have not moved yet. We decided to delay it with the economy and real estate market in the U.S. Maybe we'll be there next year. Keep us updated on your move. We'll be more than happy to share our experience.

I could go as high as 300 thou, I am not married to the price. Is all I care about is living in a safe area with yard space. I have even thought about Cozumel.(or a acreage) I just want the best bang for my buck. I do not have to be walking distance to the beach. Thanks for all of your advice. If anyone (including real estate agents) want to email me it is tooly236@gmail.com

Yes, but just over the past month or so. The rest of the year was booming. A few people have made some price reductions but not many.
    Might be a good idea to wait a month to see if prices drop...What about interest rates? Do they fluctuate in Mexico like in the states?

I could go as high as 300 thou, I am not married to the price. Is all I care about is living in a safe area with yard space. I have even thought about Cozumel.(or a acreage) I just want the best bang for my buck. I do not have to be walking distance to the beach. Thanks for all of your advice. If anyone (including real estate agents) want to email me it is tooly236[at]gmail.com
    I'll have my husband contact you via email and see if we can help out. You should have no trouble finding the right place!

I'll have my husband contact you via email and see if we can help out. You should have no trouble finding the right place!
    Thank you