Online Community & Travel Guide
Serving Playa del Carmen & Riviera Maya
In The Roo on Facebook In The Roo on Twitter
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Children's private primary schools

Default Children's private primary schools

I found in the directory there are 2 childrens primary schools listed, what are the private options? What would be a good option for children who primarily speak english (but have attended a spanish bilingual program up here in Canada so aren't completely unfamiliar with the language)?

Are the regular schools listed in the directory good? Is there a fee? What are the fees like for the private schools?

This might just be me dreaming out loud (in type?) but I am curious as to what is available. One child is preschool aged and the other is in primary school.

Default Schools in Playa del Carmen

Hi Josephina! There are nearly a dozen private primary schools in Playa del Carmen in addition to the numerous public schools. The public schools are filled to capacity, new ones opening it seems daily as Playa expands outward. I am not certain whether they would consider your children for admittance. It is not an option we considered in our search. Tuition at the preschool and/or primary school level will cost you anout $300-$400 usd monthly. Uniforms, books and materials are extra and paid at the beginning of the year. You can expect an extracurricular activity or sport to cost you about $45 a month. Our children attend the two Waldorf School on Playa, El Papalote (maternal - Grade 12) and Ak Lu'um (maternal - Grade 4 and growing). There is also a new Montessori School getting good marks from parents. All of the schools claim to be bi-lingual. Only Ak Lu'um is truly bi-lingual with half the day conducted in English and half in Spanish. Your children are at an age where this will not make a difference to them one way or the other. Actually, the more Spanish they here and are forced to use the better. All three of our children are now fluent and have been for some time.
    I've written lots of entries on my blog about the two schools our children attend.
    Click here to find them. I am happy to answer any specific questions you may have as they come along.

Thanks Michele, I will definately check out more of your blog It truly is a wealth of information for someone like me, lol.

+ Reply to Thread