Online Community & Travel Guide
Serving Playa del Carmen & Riviera Maya
In The Roo on Facebook In The Roo on Twitter
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tile & Pottery

Default Tile & Pottery

There is a great place in Puerto Vallarta that had talavera tile. Sinks, tiles, candle holders and other Mexican Pottery. Are there any pottery stores that specialize in this in Playa?

Hi guys,

There are quite a few of these types of stores in Cozumel and in Playa... beautiful stuff. I made my boyfriend lug around a serving platter, butter dish and some bowls in his school bag for a few hours one day...it was pretty funny. Back sweat city.
    Next trip...a sink...poor Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Trish,

There's one store that we reccommend to all of our visitors. It's Siete Detailles, located on the corner of 14th & 1st. Alicia, the owner has an incredible array of beautiful Talavera pottery. She also has gorgeous pewter pieces that are a real bargain!

Looking forward to seeing you on your next trip!

Maureen

Quote Originally Posted by Maureena5 View Post
    Hi Trish,

There's one store that we reccommend to all of our visitors. It's Siete Detailles, located on the corner of 14th & 1st. Alicia, the owner has an incredible array of beautiful Talavera pottery. She also has gorgeous pewter pieces that are a real bargain!

Looking forward to seeing you on your next trip!

Maureen
    Perfect! I guess I better bring an empty suitcase.
    We look forward to seeing you too! The next trip can't come fast enough!

Not a fancy place but all the stuff...
    on 30th Ave between 2nd and 4th is a store on the east side of the street that looks like a warehouse. The pottery there is 1/2 the price of that in town. I bought way too much there including one of those big lizards, small lizards and turtles, spoon holders, napkin holder, numbers for the house, etc. I saw sinks, platters, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    Not a fancy place but all the stuff...
    on 30th Ave between 2nd and 4th is a store on the east side of the street that looks like a warehouse. The pottery there is 1/2 the price of that in town. I bought way too much there including one of those big lizards, small lizards and turtles, spoon holders, napkin holder, numbers for the house, etc. I saw sinks, platters, etc.
    Thanks! That sounds like the place we were at in Puerto Vallarta. It was crazy. I had to cut my husband off after awhile. I was waiting for him to say he wanted the big talavera toilet!

Playa in the winter and E. Ontario the rest of the year

First, I agree with Maureen, if you want top quality, you can't beat Siete Detailles, but you've got to have the budget for it.

As our budget for such items is limited, there are two other stores we've bought from in the past. They have a variety of sources, so if you have a good eye, you can pick the good from the mediocre - and the prices are far less than SD. They bargain readily as well.

The first is on the west side of the Hwy, almost opposite Calle 26/28. You can't miss it, their outside walls are mosiac broken tiles. Little English is spoken but they will bargain. They have some of the larger pieces such as planters, and lots of wall lamp covers.

The second store is on the second street south of Juarez, between Av 5 and 10, it's closer to 5th and has a big awning. They have a large main floor and a basement level, so lots of selection. But as I said, picking and choosing is the key. At least one of the owners speaks quite good English and they are nice to deal with. Again, haggling is welcome.

It's a fun adventure to find reasonably-priced telavera pieces. We love beautiful pottery, but a lot is out of our price range, so searching out something nice at a good price gives us great satisfaction and something to always enjoy in our home.

Caroline
    Casa Playadise - 2B house with private pool and WiFi - at http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacat...als/20287.html

Thanks for the great info, Caroline. I will write those down on the list as well.
    I love those pieces we have in our house from PV...they just bringback some great memories.

Miriam Guest

Default Suitcase or ship?

Thanks for all the great sources! We hope to buy tiles in Playa to redo our fireplace - do any of these places ship to the US or should we bring an empty suitcase?

+ Reply to Thread