Online Community & Travel Guide
Serving Playa del Carmen & Riviera Maya
In The Roo on Facebook In The Roo on Twitter
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pay as You Go Internet Service

Default Pay as You Go Internet Service

Someone sent me a message asking if pay as you go internet service was available in Playa del Carmen. Anyone have any ideas for her?

I'm wondering if it is possible for me to purchase USB pay as you go internet service for an upcoming extended trip in Playa del Carmen. I know that there are many wifi spots in town, but I would prefer to have service available all the time. But obviously don't want to purchase an annual contract. Do you know if either Telmex or another provider offers pay as you go internet services?
    Boingo wireless is one option. But it can only be used at Boingo hotspots, and there are only a few in Playa.

Boingo Hotspots in Playa del Carmen

no help here - starbucks?

Telcel 3G via the Amigo plan.

I connected on a pay as you go plan with Boingo Wireless when we were in Playacar last summer. I could not get the Starbucks connection to work.

I got the same PM. Here's my response:

It appears that Telcel provides a Pay-as-you-go internet service. I have not spent sufficient time trying to translate all of the information available on their website to see how one goes about doing it, but after 10 minutes or poking around, it looks like it's pretty straightforward. The next time you are in town, you may want to stop by the Telcel main office at the Centro Maya shopping mall and speak with someone about the setup process and how you can re-activate your USB after you are out of Mexico for a while.

Here are the pages that provide you with some information, in Spanish. If you can't read it all, at least you can get an idea of what types of equipment is available and the monthly plans available.

Plans
    Equipment

PlayaWireless is currently working on installing hotspots throughout Playa del Carmen and all of the surrounding areas. They will be for available for tourist/vacationers to use by purchasing time on a daily or monthly basis. We have several stores/locations selling cards and currently accept PayPal. The hotspots will also be in remote areas for people to use without the up front cost of buying the equipment.

Anyone thinking they have a good area for a hotspot feel free to contact me and we will give you a connection (wired or wireless) without the cost of equipment.

We are also working on lowering prices on equipment without sacrificing service and quality. We have also lowered our monthly pricing again.

Please feel free to contact me for info.

Default pay as you go internet

How will this work? How much per day and per month? How can we learn where it will work? And where can you buy one of these cards?

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaWireless View Post
    PlayaWireless is currently working on installing hotspots throughout Playa del Carmen and all of the surrounding areas. They will be for available for tourist/vacationers to use by purchasing time on a daily or monthly basis. We have several stores/locations selling cards and currently accept PayPal. The hotspots will also be in remote areas for people to use without the up front cost of buying the equipment.

Anyone thinking they have a good area for a hotspot feel free to contact me and we will give you a connection (wired or wireless) without the cost of equipment.

We are also working on lowering prices on equipment without sacrificing service and quality. We have also lowered our monthly pricing again.

Where in Playa can we purcase these pay per use cards??

My guess would be at the Playa Wireless office. You can find the address here along with their phone number and email address.

Playa Wireless | Playa del Carmen, Mexico | In The Roo

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaWireless View Post

As a current user, the web interface to purchase time wtih a CC has never worked and the customer service, well, lets just say it isn't a high priority. here in PaaMul, people are so disgusted with their "service" that they have actually imported (slower) satellite internet so they don't have to deal with Playa Wireless.

Default pay as you go internet service in playa

Just back from 17 days in Playa. At the suggestion of this site, I bought a usb stick at TelMex for approx $500 pesos and it worked like a charm. They are running a promotion right now which includes a first month free with the purchase of the stick. After that you can purchase additional time, just like on a pay as you go cell phone, for one day, 1 week or 1 month. Thank you for the hlep with this.

We're using the USB stick too until we got DSL from Telmex this week. I saw the promotion to get double the data while we were there and I had to ask for it since it was not offered even when we asked about plans and prices. We purchased 3 GB for 30 days and got 6 GB. We got the HUAWEI Modem and it was 669 pesos. There are different size data plans with different time periods/days.
    Last edited by susango; 09-03-2010 at 02:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread