Online Community & Travel Guide
Serving Playa del Carmen & Riviera Maya
In The Roo on Facebook In The Roo on Twitter
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Free Bicycle Rentals

Default Free Bicycle Rentals

Bici en Playa (Playa on Bike) is a new program that provides tourists and residents free use of bicycles in Playa. You provide an id and sign a waiver, and you receive a bike rental, helmet, umbrella?, and city map with points of interest. I had also read at one time that there would be a $200 peso deposit to be refunded when bike is returned, and that the bike rentals were for a maximum of 2 hours at a time. However, I can no longer find the source of that info to confirm.

The program was created by Ideas del Mar and Solidaridad (the municipality which Playa belongs to). The bikes can be found at 6 bike centers across the city.

This is one of the centers located at 5th Avenue and Calle 34.

There will be a free organized bike tour on Sunday, May 8th. More info here.

Now you can book your vacation rental with In The Roo!
    http://intheroo.com/rentals

This is a great idea and something I'd like to take advantage of during future trips!
    When life seems hard, hold on...a vacation is never too far away

View my Jun 2010 trip report here
    View my Jan 2010 trip report here
    View my Jun 2009 trip report here
    View my Mar 2009 trip report here
    View my May 2008 trip report here

Default !? Yahoo!

I am very interested in this.....coming down solo in September and was planning on buying a bike for the week, and donating it to a good cause...might change my mind and use these....will be watching for positive reports about these....
    However, having re-read Libby's post....2 hour rentals....? Sounds like a good plan for cruise ship folks....but if memory serves me...no riding on Ave 5....? Correct? We had to walk south with 10 people on an organized ride from the IB Tucan......very awkward for folks that wanted stop and look in shops...

Rodman ya still can get a bike and donate it as, this changes someones life....in America a bike is almost like a toy......here it is a families only way of getting around. P.S...the location that is pictured above is already gone. This is a taxi stand as it was across from the Real......being from New Jersey......Taxi Mafia comes to mind. I also did the parade today sponsored by town and this bike store.

Playa in the winter and E. Ontario the rest of the year

anything new on Bici en Playa? I have renters interested but can't find anyone still open (e.g. 34/5th) ...?

rodman: my understanding from talking to the people who were staffing that booth was a free two-hour rental and then a nominal fee per hour if you wanted the bike for longer.

If not Bici, anyone know of a reliable bike rental place in the Const/30th area where a little english is spoken?

Caroline
    Casa Playadise - 2B house with private pool and WiFi - at http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacat...als/20287.html

Default Bikes....good.....

I've been in contact with SnappySammy on the PI board, and he is going to have a bike ready for me.....and either buy it back, or I donate it to a worthy cause/person....
    Out of college, my 1st year was low budget in a Chicago burb, and used my Schwinn 5 speed to get me to work, about 2 miles.....so I appreciate a bike as a tool, not necessarily a toy....
    I stayed a couple of days in Freeport Bahamas at a B&B after a scuba trip....they had a bike for use....old, slow, clunky and very loose......it was a nice gesture, but...rented a scooter those days, but would rather use a bike for my upcoming trip.....Page, please give me contact details as my arrival gets nearer...no need for it yet....Thanks!

I've contacted Ideas del Mar, the company that created this concept with the assistance of the municipal government, for an update about the bike rentals. I will post when I hear back from them.

I just heard back from Ideas del Mar. They told me that the municipality was making some adjustments. They hope that the bike stations will be back next week.

Ideas del Mar also sent me a complete list of the bike rental stations.

From south to north:

The bike rental station at Playacar Plaza is open. Has anyone seen any of the others open yet?

For those who are unable to rent through Bici en Playa, I've just learned of a bike rental service calle Hola Bike. You reserve a bike via email, and they deliver the bike to you. $10 USD a day. Weekly and monthly rates available.

+ Reply to Thread