In The Roo on Facebook In The Roo on Twitter
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Libby
  • 1 Post By Dennis
  • 1 Post By susango

Thread: Restaurant Review: Oh Lala

Default Restaurant Review: Oh Lala

We've been hearing some great things about a relatively new restaurant called Oh Lala, including this review by forum member SteveSD. We decided to try it out Monday night, and found the positive buzz to be warranted. As it was raining that night, not many people were out, so we had no problem snagging a table at this intimate restaurant.

Dutch chef George serves fine international cuisine at affordable prices. The menu changes frequently but choices may include curries, fish fillets, beef fillets, pork chops, paellas and pastas. The restaurant is small, but cute and smartly decorated. Inside you can sit at the counter and watch the chef work while enjoying the air conditioning. Or opt for one of the 4 or 5 tables outside.

This is an older picture I borrowed from George's Facebook profile. I think it looks even better now.

John and I both ordered lime-ades with mineral water (limonada mineral). These were made with fresh limes and went easy on the sweetener -- so good! We also received a complimentary starter of pita bread (no doubt homemade) drizzled with high quality olive oil and topped with fresh rosemary. Delicious!! I wish I could eat this every day!!

John ordered the filet mignon in red wine reduction with mashed potatoes and bacon wrapped asparagus. John is not too keen on most of the beef served in restaurants here, but was hopeful. The mashed potatoes were very good. The filet was a bit thinner than the filet mignons we are used to, about two-thirds the size. It was tender and cooked to his liking, but he felt it didn't live up to the flavor and melt-in-your-mouth quality of a great filet mignon. For $180 pesos though, it's a terrific value for a beef fillet!

I ordered fish in green curry sauce. It was served with a plate of rice topped with chili sprinkled peanuts. The curry sauce was amazing! Very delicate with a hint of sweetness from coconut milk and just the right amount of spice. About halfway through my meal, I felt like I needed a different flavor. This often happens to me with curries that do no include veggies. I had been avoiding the peanuts as I'm not a big fan of them. I decided to add them to my curry now, and that made all the difference!! This is the type of restaurant where you need to eat the food the way the chef intended!

For dessert George offered us a white chocolate brownie, baking in the oven as we spoke! I don't like white chocolate, so we opted for the homemade blackberry and raspberry ice cream. As the aroma of the brownies wafted over us, I wondered if we had made the wrong call! The ice cream was quite good, but I am left wondering what a white chocolate brownie would have tasted like.

With all the buzz, Oh Lala is growing in popularity. Go there now while you can still easily get a table. By high season, I wouldn't be surprised if reservations become essential.

Oh Lala is located on 10th Avenue between Calle 14 & 16 Bis, about a block south of Constituyentes. Find Oh Lala on the map here. Get contact info and leave reviews here.
    Tyramania likes this.
    Now you can book your vacation rental with In The Roo!
    http://intheroo.com/rentals

Oh my! It all looks, and sounds, delicious!

I'm not a huge fan of white chocolate either, but I love brownies!

- Tyra

Going tonight! Looking forward to see what Oh Lala can make for vegetarians :-)

Default Heerlijk - Delicious

Lovely food, took the three seats at the kitchen table and had a nice chat (you have to come at 6:30pm for chats... otherwise George it to busy) but great food, lovely Thai Curry veggy-style!
    Libby likes this.

We visited Oh Lala over the weekend and it was very busy, but George did come over to chat. The seared tuna and mediterranean salad were fabulous and George is a very nice guy. We will definitely be back!
    Libby likes this.

+ Reply to Thread