+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Annie & Terry
  • 1 Post By jamnkats
  • 2 Post By Vlad

Thread: Private Hospitals in Playa del Carmen

Default Private Hospitals in Playa del Carmen

Hi,

Does anybody knows what are the best private hospitals in Playa del Carmen or Riviera Maya?
    I heard and read that Hospiten is the best, but I also found some negative reviews. Also Hospiten is very expensive.

Right now I don't have a medical problem but I want to inquire since I'm not from Mexico and as far as I heard public hospitals are not very good.

Also I'm interested if doctors that works in private hospitals have their own offices so you can go there to investigate the issue and only if it is a serios problem you'll go in hospital because there have all kind of devices. I think this way would be cheaper and confortable.

I'm waiting for your experience and advices.

Thanks a lot,

Lavinia

Are you anticipating being ill..?

It never hurts to be prepared.

I have not needed medical treatment, but I have visited Hospitan and spoken to doctors in PDC. If you can prove you are a residence (own or rent) Hospitan has a lower service rate. I cannot remember the cost, so it must be reasonable.

On the home page of 'IN THE ROO' click on DIRECTORY - HEALTH & WELLNESS. A menu will appear showing doctors and medical clinics in PDC.

Saludos.

Lets say I will stay a while in Playa del Carmen and I want to have a baby and who knows maybe is going to happen here
    So I'm interested to find a good gynecologist (preferably english speaker) and also a good hospital.
    I'm waiting people to share their experiences.

Thanks,
    Lavinia

Hospiten is generally quite good. It seems when I hear bad reviews of Hospiten, the person is often more upset about the cost than anything else. I find their fees to be higher than most local doctors, but way cheaper than medical services in the U.S. Maybe I'm getting the local rate; I never knew they had two sets of rates.

I've also heard good things about CostaMed, including lower costs.

There was a great gynecologist at Hospiten, but it seems she is gone. Unfortunately, I don't have a gynecologist to recommend at the moment.
    Last edited by Libby; 03-07-2012 at 05:39 PM.
    Now you can book your vacation rental with In The Roo!
    http://intheroo.com/rentals

According to your location info, you live in Playa. Now that you have been given suggestions on the heath care available in PDC do what I did; step away from your computer and visit these places on your own.

The only person who knows what's best for you is you!

If you have proof of residency; bring it with you. The latest utility bill in your name should be enough.
    Libby likes this.

We have had good experiences at CostaMed (ER and hospitalization), Hospiten (appts, ER and hospitalization) and IMSS (hospitalization). I've written about all our experiences here so I'm sure they're available by search. I used to go to the Hiberbaric Chamber but when the doc could not find a 100% collapsed lung (so obvious it should have been yelling at her) I stopped going. For little things we go to the pediatrician the Libby recommended (Argentine).

The best health care is in Merida, however, and for anything serious,that is where we'd go.
    Libby likes this.

Hola, jamnkats:

Thanks, I liked reading your post on CostaMed. I am sure anyone interested in healthcare in the Roo would like to read it as well.

Type 'CostaMed' in the forum search box and the post will appear.

Now, you have roused my curiosity! What can we expect in Merida that is not available in PDC or Cancun?

the best health care outside DF/Guad.

If you can prove you are a residence (own or rent) Hospitan has a lower service rate.
    The discount is 30%, so it can make a big difference. As others have pointed out, a utility bill in your name could be enough evidence you're a resident: an FM2 or FM3 will also show that you are a resident. With a 30% discount, Hospiten becomes competitive with other, private hospitals in the area: without it, it's relatively expensive.

Some of you will know that Hospiten in Cancun has a unique service in that they can do cardiac catheterizations. This requires highly specialized equipment, and people well versed in its use. Hospiten, Cancun, has both.

What this procedure makes possible is angiography, in which the arteries of the heart can be visualized; angioplasty, in which the arteries of the heart can dilated through the use of a "balloon"; and, the implantation of a stent, to open a clogged artery in a more permanent way (nothing is forever, in this business).

Any and all of these measures can be life saving, under the right set of circumstances, and this makes Hospiten the place to go if you had a serious issue with the heart.

What can we expect in Merida that is not available in PDC or Cancun?
    I guess this is just one less thing!
    Last edited by Vlad; 03-11-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    Libby and Annie & Terry like this.

Last week I had my first experience with a doctor in Playa del Carmen. I had an appointment to dr. Claudia Bueno in CostaMed which went well. She speaks a little English and explained me both in medical terms and common language what was my condition. Unfortunately things were not 100% good for me so I have to do some blood tests and return for a treatment. I was satisfied how consultation occurred except the fact that I entered one hour after my appointment.

+ Reply to Thread