Online Community & Travel Guide
Serving Playa del Carmen & Riviera Maya
In The Roo on Facebook In The Roo on Twitter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: PLEASE support my team - Bomberos 3-legged race on St. Patrick's Day

Default PLEASE support my team - Bomberos 3-legged race on St. Patrick's Day

This Saturday - St. Patrick's Day - will be the 7th Annual Bomberos 3-legged race to raise money for our local fire fighters, the Bomberos of Playa del Carmen.

In The Roo supporters have been very generous the past 4 years, donating over $5,250 USD to the Bomberos. Please help us continue to raise some money for this excellent cause!

Again this year, I will be running the race tied to my friend and local dentist, Dr. Jorge Armenta. Dr. Jorge and I will be defending our 1st place win from last year, under the name Los Pinches Panchos. Actually, I will be attempting a 3-peat, as my first win was in 2010 with friend and fellow forum member JanuaryGuy.

The challenge, like always, is to hobble our way through the streets of Playa, visiting 7 different bars and having a shot of tequila or a bottle of beer at each. As we have in the past, our team will cover the cost of our entrance fee, so all contributions will go directly to the Bomberos, and not for our 16 drinks!

Damn, I wish we were both still that flaco!

In The Roo will once again match any contributions made to our team up to a total of $2,000 pesos. Donations can be made in person to me, or to Dr. Jorge at his office, or made directly to the Bomberos via Paypal using the link below. If you pay via Paypal, please forward your receipt to info@intheroo.com so In The Roo can match your contribution.

Make your donation via Paypal here:

Why do we raise money for the Bomberos?

Each year the top-shelf expertise/ equipment needed to train the Bomberos of Quintana Roo at the Fireman’s Academy come as a result of fund raising events/ donations. This weeklong training exercise is often the only training our firemen will get all year, so its importance cannot be overstated. Also our Fire Department is always in need of new equipment, and must raise money to purchase any equipment beyond the government provided bare minimum. - Jez 2011
    Read the full announcement from Libby here: Three Legged Race for the Bomberos! (Saturday, March 17, 2012).

Photos and videos from previous years:
    2011 - photos
    2010 - photos and a video

Come celebrate your St. Patrick's Day in Playa del Carmen and cheer us on this coming Saturday at La Rana!
    Last edited by Libby; 03-16-2012 at 11:03 AM.
    Libby likes this.

I just sent $25 US for your team......pump up the Bomberos....!
    John and Libby like this.

Thanks Rodman!

I'm looking for some more supporters! ITR still has about $1600 pesos in matching funds left to donate!

Please come out on Saturday to cheer us on! It's going to be a great St. Patty's Day party! I hope they have some Guinness.
    JEZ likes this.

Best of luck John! you generally always win, so no slacking off now!
    John likes this.

Hi. I just donated some too!
    Marissa B

Travel Agent specializing in All-Inclusive Resort Vacations and Destination Weddings

www.fivestarvacationtravel.com

Help a kitty at www.cocoscatrescue.org

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Thanks Rodman!

I'm looking for some more supporters! ITR still has about $1600 pesos in matching funds left to donate!

Please come out on Saturday to cheer us on! It's going to be a great St. Patty's Day party! I hope they have some Guinness.
    There is Guinness. There is also LIVE GRADY. Yep Grady just got to town an is coming to sing to support the Bomberos. John u da man.
    John likes this.

Its great here on 10th. Its great anywhere on 10th!
    www.facebook.com/javaplaya

I will wear my Bomberos t-shirt this Saturday, as I work overtime, doing road tests at the DMV.......in your honour, and theirs......hope your team finishes on top, and raise a lot of pesos for a great cause!!!!!
    rodney
    John likes this.

Ok, we are somewhere between $25 and $1 million dollars collected. At the moment, I don't know the exact amounts of the donations from marissab or Limestone_1, so I'm just being optimistic. I will keep y'all updated when I know more.

Until then, I leave you with this inspirational video from the Talking Heads, Burning Down the House.

$50 from your former partner. $50 more if you win. $100 more if you both race in Speedos...and if pics are posted. Serious. How much do you care for the Bomberos?
    Libby likes this.

So just a quick pause in the run up to the race, I thought it would be a good moment to reflect on why we hold this event.

Our local Bomberos need training courses to keep them safe, to keep them current on the latest techniques which save our lives and protect theirs.

Our local Bomberos need equipment such as the "jaws of life" which have saved countless victims of road accidents.

Our local Bomberos need their equipment maintained, fuel for their fire trucks, boots for their feet, and new hoses to mention just a few things.

Our Bomberos need your support. Come and race, come and make a donation, come and by a t.shirt. Everything helps. As someone who has received assistance from the Bomberos, I am forever grateful and in awe of their professionalism and skills.

Come and meet some of these brave guys on Saturday. Come and meet Brian and Edie who have created our fire brigade. Have a good time and help the Bomberos to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by January Guy View Post
    $50 from your former partner. $50 more if you win. $100 more if you both race in Speedos...and if pics are posted. Serious. How much do you care for the Bomberos?
    Not sure why everyone always wants to see me in a speedo...

Muchas gracias for your support. I'm hoping you'll be sending us another $50 after Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by JEZ View Post
    So just a quick pause in the run up to the race, I thought it would be a good moment to reflect on why we hold this event.
    Thanks, Jez!

An update on donations thus far... we are currently at
    $600 - entrance fee
    $1440 - Donations I know about (marrisab and Limestone_1, please contact my with your donation amounts!!)
    $1440 - In The Roo matching fund.
    ----------
    $3480 pesos so far.

A few people tonight at Wah Wah's said they were going to support our team, so thank you in advance! Again, please send your Paypal receipts or a quick email (to info@intheroo.com) letting me know how much you sent so I can update our tally!

Hi John, Not sure if I missed it but would likr to know where you guys start off...
    Rohelio
    ]

Rohelio, sorry, I guess I should have posted a link to the discussion thread about the event. Oops!

Here it is:

3-legged Bar Crawl - Bomberos Fundraiser, March 17

An update on donations thus far... we are currently at
    $600 - entrance fee
    $2880 - Donations received
    $2000 - In The Roo matching fund.
    ----------
    $5480 pesos so far.

Thank you to everyone who has pledged your support thus far. We're not done yet - there is still time to contribute!
    Last edited by John; 03-17-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    JEZ likes this.

Only about 8 hours left. Can we get to $6000 pesos?

Any size donation is appreciated!

Thank you.

I'm carbo-loading with pasta right now - the race starts in 60 minutes! Woot!

Here is where we stand for donations:
    $600 - entrance fee
    $3030 - Donations received
    $2000 - In The Roo matching fund.
    ----------
    $5630 pesos so far.

I know a few people said they would done more at La Rana, so I'm hoping we'll meet our goal of $6000 pesos. Wish us luck defending our title!
    Libby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Wish us luck defending our title
    As you would expect I am impartial, but the very best of luck John and congratulations on raising all that cash for
    the Bomberos.
    John likes this.

Yo John - so how much do I owe?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast